Though there are many factors voters may consider before casting their vote, we believe none is so vital as considering how a candidate views the sanctity of life, the protection of babies in the womb, and whether or not they will expand abortion or stand firm against it. Your vote matters to real human lives in the womb — thousands of which are being snuffed out by abortion every, single day.
To help you make this consideration, we’ve created a concise, easy-to-share graphic highlighting some crucial views on abortion from both candidates.
And for those who want to delve deeper, CEC For Life has also compiled a list of direct quotes from the current candidates regarding these key pro-life issues in America. See just what each candidate believes about abortion, and in their own words.
Believes babies in the womb should be protected.
- “We’re here for a very simple reason: to defend the right of every child, born and unborn, to fulfill their God-given potential.” — Donald Trump, 47th Annual March for Life (January 2020)
- “…under this President, I promise you, we’re going to continue to work every day to put the right to life back at the center of American law.” — Mike Pence, Rally in Seminole, Florida (August 2020)
Will work to overturn Roe v. Wade.
- “Because I am pro-life, and I will be appointing pro-life judges, I would think that [Roe v, Wade] would go back to the individual states.” — Donald Trump, Presidential Debate (October 2016)
- “I want to live to see the day that we put the sanctity of life back at the center of American law and we send Roe v. Wade to the ash heap of history.” — Mike Pence, Value Voters Summit (September 2016)
Wants to defund Planned Parenthood.
- “Since my inauguration, I have proudly governed as the most pro-life president in our nations history. Together, we have accomplished so much for unborn children and their mothers during my first term in office by…stopping taxpayer funding of the big abortion industry, such as Planned Parenthood, through the Title X Protect Life rule.” — Donald Trump, Letter to Pro-Life Voices for Trump (September 2020)
- “If Planned Parenthood wants to be involved in providing counseling services and HIV testing, they ought not be in the business of providing abortions. As long as they aspire to do that, I’ll be after them.” — Mike Pence, Interview with VOX (2016)
Believes tax payers should not be forced to pay for abortion.
- “Forcing taxpayers to pay for abortions is an important position that must be defeated at the ballot box.” — Donald Trump, Letter to Pro-Life Voices for Trump (September 2020)
- “This administration will work with Congress to end taxpayer funding for abortion and abortion providers, and we will devote those resources to health care services for women across America.” — Mike Pence, 44th Annual March for Life (January 2017)
Believes abortion only should be protected, not babies in the womb.
- “Expanding access to contraception and protect the constitutional right to an abortion. The Affordable Care Act made historic progress by ensuring access to free preventive care, including contraception. As President, Biden will build on that progress…And, the public option will cover contraception and a woman’s constitutional right to choose.” — from “The Biden Plan for Healthcare” on Biden/Harris Official Website
- “When elected, I’m going to put in place and require that states that have a history of passing legislation that is designed to prevent or limit a woman’s access to reproductive health care, that those laws have to come before my Department of Justice for a review and approval. And until we determine that they are constitutional, they will not take effect.” — Kamala Harris, MSNB Town Hall (May 2019)
Has vowed to protect Roe v. Wade.
- “Biden will work to codify Roe v. Wade, and his Justice Department will do everything in its power to stop the rash of state laws that so blatantly violate Roe v. Wade.” — from “The Biden Agenda for Women” on Biden/Harris Official Website
- “I would codify Roe v Wade as defined by Casey — it should be the law.” — Joe Biden, Planned Parenthood Forum (June 2019)
- “I will always fight for a woman’s right to make a decision over her own body. That is her right, not Donald Trump’s.” — Kamala Harris, VP Debate (October 2020)
Has been endorsed by Planned Parenthood and wants to increase its federal funding.
- “As President, Biden will reissue guidance specifying that states cannot refuse Medicaid funding for Planned Parenthood and other providers and reverse the Trump Administration’s rule preventing these organizations from obtaining Title X funds.” — from “The Biden Agenda for Women” on Biden/Harris Official Website
- “Planned Parenthood Action Fund is thrilled to congratulate Senator Kamala Harris on her nomination to be vice president on the Democratic presidential ticket. Throughout her career, she has been a steadfast champion for reproductive rights and health care. With this selection, Joe Biden has made it clear that he is deeply committed to not only protecting reproductive rights, but also advancing and expanding them.” — Official Statement from Planned Parenthood (August 2020)
Believes tax payers should foot the bill for abortion.
- “First thing I would do as your president is I would immediately, in fact, extend healthcare to everyone…The bottom line is poor women would have complete coverage and there’s no rationale that can be offered that, if you’re covered by the federal system, you cannot then use federal funding to seek reproductive healthcare rights.” — Joe Biden, Planned Parenthood Forum (June 2019)
- “And I’m not going to stop there. I will also protect Planned Parenthood from Republican attempts to defund essential health services…I will also continue to fight so that all women have access to reproductive health care regardless of how much money they make by continuing my career-long opposition to the Hyde Amendment.” — Article, “Sen. Kamala Harris: As president, I will fight for women” (June 2019)