Decemer 23, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) – The following are the top ten good news stories of 2009, ranked according to popularity.
1) 12-Year-Old Stuns Pro-Choice Teacher and School with Pro-Life Presentation
12-year-old “Lia” of Toronto become a star at her school and on Youtube with her five-minute pro-life speech, crafted for a school competition. A video of her speech has been watched over 800,000 times on Youtube.
2) List of Bishops Opposing the Notre Dame Invitation and Award to President Obama
83 U.S. bishops spoke out against Notre Dame’s decision to honour the “most pro-abortion president in history.” The widespread and public outrage from the country’s bishops was considered by many to be an encouraging sign about the current direction of the U.S. Catholic Church on the life and family issues.
3) Florida Quarterback Tebow Leaves Reporters Speechless: “Yes I am” Saving Myself for Marriage
Tim Tebow, the young football superstar, literally left reporters speechless when he answered a question during a press conference about whether or not he is “saving himself” for marriage.
4) Star Trek Actor Who Paid for Three Abortions Now Condemns Woman’s “Right to Choose…to Kill Her Baby”
A dramatic turn-around for the actor best known for his roles as Ambassador Soval in the TV series “Star Trek: Enterprise” and Capt. Ingles on “J.A.G.”, who admitted that during his drug-fuelled youth he personally paid for three abortions for women he had impregnated. “Abortion is murder,” Graham now says, after acknowledging that he will be “hated” for saying so.
5) Pro-Life Convictions Worth Risking Career For: “The Passion” Actor Jim Caviezel
Jim Caviezel, the heart-throb actor who took the film world by surprise with his moving depiction of Christ in 2004, said that abortion has nothing to do with helping women and that he is willing to risk his career to say so.
6) 400 Students Defy ACLU and Stand to Recite Lord’s Prayer at Graduation
A dramatic protest against an attempt by the ACLU to silence prayer in Florida schools. Many of the students also painted crosses on their graduation caps to make a statement of faith.
7) ‘In the Womb’ is Now on the Net: Amazing 4-D Footage of Growing Baby
Few tools have been more effective for the pro-life cause than ultrasound. However, recent advances in ultrasound technology have made the humanity of the unborn child even more impossible to deny. This 2-hour Discovery Channel documentary presents a remarkable visual apologetic for the pro-life message that human life begins with fertilization. Showing the continuous development of the unborn child from conception to birth, it shatters all attempts to pinpoint any other time as the beginning of life.
8) Director of Planned Parenthood at 40 Days for Life Birthplace Resigns after Watching Abortion Ultrasound
The turning point for Abby Johnson in her journey to the pro-life position was reportedly when she witnessed an actual ultrasound image of an abortion being performed on an unborn child. Since converting to the pro-life position, she has said: “I feel so pure in heart. I don’t have this guilt, I don’t have this burden on me anymore.”
9) Bishop Hermann of St. Louis ”“ Strongest Ever Pro-Life Column
Bishop Hermann wrote: “I may courageously say that I am willing to die to end abortion, but am I equally willing to say that I am ready to let my ego get ruffled daily for the same cause? Yet ”¦ that is where I need to arrive if I am to be a credible witness.”
10) Controversial U.K. Mayor Cuts Gay Pride Funding, Pledges End to Political Correctness in Government
A rare breath of fresh air in the world of politics. “I’m not a homophobe,” said Peter Davies, “but I don’t see why council taxpayers should pay to celebrate anyone’s sexuality.” In his first week in office, Davies also cut his own salary from £73,000 to £30,000; reduced the number of councillors from 63 to 21, saving the town £800,000 a year. He also immediately announced plans to reduce council tax by 3 per cent and got rid of the mayoral limousine.